The church of Muhu was built in the early Gothic style, probably in the 13th century. The present church owes much to a reconstruction in 1738 after it was destroyed during the Great Northern War. Given the church's few narrow windows and other architectural features, it is assumed that the church was built for defence purposes.
The church of Karja was built in the fourth quarter of the 13th or early 14th century by masters from Ojamaa (Gotland). Even before the construction of the stone church, already in 1254, there was a wooden church in Karja. Until 1896 the clergy was composed of Baltic Germans. The first Estonian clergyman was Karl Wöhrmann in 1896-1926.
The church in Valjala is the oldest preserved stone church in Estonia. It was built from 1227, at the time of the Livonia Crusades (13th century). In the third quarter of the 13th century, the small church of that time was transformed into a fortified church. The defensive church contains both Romanesque and Gothic elements. In 1922, thunderstruck the church and burnt the baroque helmet of the tower.