St. John's Church is a church built between 1888 and 1891 by Stockholm architect Adolf Emil Melander. The church is one of the most outstanding examples of neo-Gothic churches in Finland. The church was damaged during the great bombing of Helsinki in February 1944; among other things, several windows were broken. The church was restored for its centenary, and then part of the old decorative paint layer was exposed on the gallery wall.
The German church was built in 1864 and designed by Harald von Bosse and C. J. von Heideken in the neo-gothic style. The church burnt down in 1958 and was then repaired according to the plans of architect O. Hansson. Between 1997 and 2001 the church underwent a major renovation, modification and extension of the buildings, designed by architects Juha Leiviskä and Rosemarie Schnitzler.
The Old Church of Helsinki is the oldest church in Helsinki city centre, completed in 1826 by the architect Carl Ludvig Engel. The Old Church was originally intended only as a temporary solution when the 18th century Ulrika Eleonora Church, which was replaced by Helsinki Cathedral, was demolished to make way for the Senate square. Due to the temporary character, the old church was built of wood and without bells. The Old Church is surrounded by the Old Church Park, which was a former cemetery.