The German church was built in 1864 and designed by Harald von Bosse and C. J. von Heideken in the neo-gothic style. The church burnt down in 1958 and was then repaired according to the plans of architect O. Hansson. Between 1997 and 2001 the church underwent a major renovation, modification and extension of the buildings, designed by architects Juha Leiviskä and Rosemarie Schnitzler.
The church of Mikael Agricola is a brick church built between 1933 and 1935 in the functionalist style. A design competition was held for the construction of the church in 1930. Out of 56 proposals, the award committee chose the design by the architect Lars Sonck (1870-1956). Since the Lutheran church was built, as its name suggests, the Anglican Church of Finland has also held services on the premises of the Mikael Agricola Church.
The Old Church of Helsinki is the oldest church in Helsinki city centre, completed in 1826 by the architect Carl Ludvig Engel. The Old Church was originally intended only as a temporary solution when the 18th century Ulrika Eleonora Church, which was replaced by Helsinki Cathedral, was demolished to make way for the Senate square. Due to the temporary character, the old church was built of wood and without bells. The Old Church is surrounded by the Old Church Park, which was a former cemetery.