About this building
The Marmiroi Church was first mentioned in 1307, but it is believed to have been built much earlier, possibly in the 12th century. It is likely that this church once belonged to a monastery and that it served as a model for the construction of the church of the monastery of Saint Mary of Zvërnec. From 1971, the church, which was in a dilapidated state, was restored.
The Ardenica Monastery was erected by the Byzantine Emperor Andronikos II Palaiologos in 1282 in honour of his victory over the Kingdom of Sicily during the siege of Berat. Closed and in a state of ruin in 1967, the monastery was saved thanks to its reputation as the wedding venue of Skanderbeg (1443 - 1468), Albanian national hero. The monastery has been rebuilt since 1988.
It is nicknamed as Clock Mosque because in 1870 the Ottomans built a clock tower next to it. Both were destroyed in the Communist period except for the minaret. After it, the mosque was renovated.