About this building
The Church of the Name of Mary is a Roman Catholic church from 1893-4. It replaces an old church from the 18th century, damaged during the Serbian uprising of 1849. The façade of this new neo-gothic church is made of yellow brick. The windows are decorated with stained glass from Peštanj, while ceramics from Žolnai cover the roof structure. The inhabitants of Novi Sad wrongly call the church a cathedral, which it is not, as the cathedral of the diocese is located in Subotica.
The Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church was built between 1820 and 1847. The Greek-Catholic believers were Ruthenians from Novi Sad who immigrated to the city in the mid-18th century. On the front of the temple, there are three mosaic icons: the icon of St. Paul, the icon of St. Peter and the central icon of Jesus on the shroud with a cross. These three icons together form a magnificent triptych. They were made by the Budapest professor of fine arts, Laslo Puskas. The glass was made in the famous "Olsoni" factory on the island of Murano in Venice. The factory also delivered mosaic glass to the United Nations building in New York.
Novi Sad Cathedral was first mentioned in 1720 when it was a smaller church which was soon (1734) replaced by a new one. This new church was restored twice during the 19th century, but the present appearance of the church was given during a major renovation in the early 20th century at the time of Bishop Mitrofan Šević. The painter Paja Jovanović worked on the icons of the church. In the portal of the church, there is the oldest preserved artefact from Novi Sad - the Cross of the Epiphany made of pink marble.