Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church

The Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church was built between 1820 and 1847. The Greek-Catholic believers were Ruthenians from Novi Sad who immigrated to the city in the mid-18th century. On the front of the temple, there are three mosaic icons: the icon of St. Paul, the icon of St. Peter and the central icon of Jesus on the shroud with a cross. These three icons together form a magnificent triptych. They were made by the Budapest professor of fine arts, Laslo Puskas. The glass was made in the famous "Olsoni" factory on the island of Murano in Venice. The factory also delivered mosaic glass to the United Nations building in New York.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture

Visitors information

  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Philipp Weigell

Church of the Name of Mary

The Church of the Name of Mary is a Roman Catholic church from 1893-4. It replaces an old church from the 18th century, damaged during the Serbian uprising of 1849. The façade of this new neo-gothic church is made of yellow brick. The windows are decorated with stained glass from Peštanj, while ceramics from Žolnai cover the roof structure. The inhabitants of Novi Sad wrongly call the church a cathedral, which it is not, as the cathedral of the diocese is located in Subotica.

Wikimedia Commons/Jadran

Novi Sad Cathedral

Novi Sad Cathedral was first mentioned in 1720 when it was a smaller church which was soon (1734) replaced by a new one. This new church was restored twice during the 19th century, but the present appearance of the church was given during a major renovation in the early 20th century at the time of Bishop Mitrofan Šević. The painter Paja Jovanović worked on the icons of the church. In the portal of the church, there is the oldest preserved artefact from Novi Sad - the Cross of the Epiphany made of pink marble.

Novi Sad Synagogue

The Novi Sad Synagogue was built between 1905 and 1909 by the famous Hungarian architect Lipót Baumhorn. The synagogue is a monumental building characteristic of the Hungarian Secession style, which combines Art Nouveau elements with Eclectism. The interior of the synagogue is organised according to the traditional structure of the "liberal synagogues" of the second half of the 19th century. In the entrance of the synagogue, one can read the inscription "My house shall be called a house of prayer for all peoples" (Isaiah, chapter 56, verse 7).