The Convent of St. Joseph, also known as the Convent of the Adorers, is a women's convent built in 1917 on the ruins of a hermitage dedicated to St. Joseph, dating from the 13th century. At the beginning of the 19th century, during the Peninsular War (1807-1814), the building was bombed and was practically abandoned until it was rebuilt in 1917.
The cathedral of Badajoz dates from the 13th century, but its construction took until the 18th century. As early as 1276, the cathedral was consecrated under the patronage of Saint John the Baptist. But it was not completed until the 15th century, and important stylistic changes were made until the 18th century, hence the style of the church, hesitating between Gothic and Baroque. Up to five royal weddings were celebrated in the town of Badajoz from the 14th to the 18th century.
This monastery was the former headquarters of the Alcantara military order and is still used today as an educational and research centre. It has elements of gothic, Renaissance, and Plateresque styles.