This tower is the last remnant of St. Catherine's Church which preceded the present church. The former Church of St. Catherine was a Gothic church built in the 14th and 15th centuries. The church was later enlarged by a choir in the 17th century. In the same century, from 1629 to 1664, the baroque bell tower was built. The bell tower was restored between 1913 and 1930.
The present Church of Saint Catherine of Brussels was built on the site of a dock in the old port of Brussels between 1854 and 1874. The building, of French Gothic inspiration, replaces an old 14th century church that had become too small. Twice the church has been threatened with demolition: in the 1950s in favour of an open-air car park, in 2011, as a project to transform the building into a covered market is under study. In 2014, the church was finally placed under the responsibility of the priests of the Brotherhood of the Holy Apostles.
The church Notre-Dame du Finistère was built in the 15th century as a small chapel. The church was rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century as the area was urbanized, but the present building is a third reconstruction, started in 1708 and completed in 1730. Since then, the upper part of the façade was built and crowned with an octagonal dormer window in 1828 and a statue of the Virgin Mary surrounded by the 12 stars of the Apocalypse was fixed there in 1857.