The present Church of Saint Catherine of Brussels was built on the site of a dock in the old port of Brussels between 1854 and 1874. The building, of French Gothic inspiration, replaces an old 14th century church that had become too small. Twice the church has been threatened with demolition: in the 1950s in favour of an open-air car park, in 2011, as a project to transform the building into a covered market is under study. In 2014, the church was finally placed under the responsibility of the priests of the Brotherhood of the Holy Apostles.
The church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste-au-Béguinage is a Catholic religious building in the Italian-Flemish Baroque style. It was built from 1657 after the Gothic church of the beguinage was plundered by the Calvinists in 1579. The beguinage houses that once stood around the church were destroyed in the 19th century. The church was restored after a fire destroyed its roof structure in 2000.
The Church of St. Nicholas in Brussels, built around 1125, is one of the first churches in Brussels and the best preserved in its successive modifications. Of the original Romanesque style church, some remains remain in the entrance porch, discovered during the reconstruction of the façade in 1956. This Romanesque style building had a tower that housed the city's bells and was therefore the bell tower of Brussels. Destroyed by a storm in 1367, it was immediately rebuilt. The church was closed in 1797 and sold in 1799. Almost demolished, it was finally returned to worship in 1804.