Talbot House was built in the 18th century. In 1911, the house was bought by a local banker who left the house after it was bombed by a German shell in 1915. Soon thereafter, the house was rented to the 6th division of the British army. Chaplain Philip “Tubby” Clayton decided to use the building as a soldier’s club. At first it was called “Church House” but the eventual name became “Talbot House”, after Gilbert Talbot, a young man who died on 30th July 1915. Chaplain Clayton was in charge of the clubhouse. He made sure that it felt like a ‘home away from home’, regardless your rank or status. On the attic, he made a church where soldiers could find peace, quiet, pray and go to mass.
The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, listed as an historical monument, is located in Warhem, Hauts-de-France. The first religious services were celebrated there in 1208. Of the original church, destroyed in the sixteenth century, there remains only the tower. It is a "church-hall" style building, with three Gothic style naves. The church is furnished with remarkable furniture and several classified objects.
The Russian Orthodox Church "Mother of God Parish, Consoler of the Afflicted" and its adjacent monastery were founded in the 1980s. The monastery is housed in a low house for agricultural workers, which is believed to have been built around 1903. In 1988, the small church was built by the architect Hugo Dezutter, allegedly on the model of a wooden church in Novgorod. The colourful roofs with the large hexagonal rider and the smaller onion-shaped tower make the church a real icon.