St. Nicholas' Church was founded in 1230 as the centre of a settlement of German merchants from Gotland. The church was completely rebuilt in 1405-1420 when a new choir was built and the then long building was rebuilt according to the principles of the basilica. From 1486 to 1493, the Matthew Chapel (14th century) was rebuilt as Anthony's Chapel. The new tower of the reconstructed church was completed in 1515. The west tower of the church was rebuilt in 1682-1696 and a new baroque bell tower was built. After its restoration after the Second World War (1953-1981), the church became an art museum and a concert hall.
The Church of Charles is a neo-Romanesque church built between 1862 and 1870 according to the plan of the architects Otto Pius Hippius and Rudolf von Bernhard. A church has existed here since medieval times. In 1670, a wooden church was consecrated on this site, sponsored by Charles XI of Sweden, whose name remains that of the church. The building was burnt down by Sweden during the Great Northern War in 1710, when troops of the Tsarist state of Moscow approached Tallinn.
Aleksander Nevsky Cathedral is a 19th-century Orthodox church. The construction of this sanctuary, based on Russian church architecture, began in 1894 and was completed in 1900. The church was named after Alexander Nevsky (1220-1263), the Prince of Novgorod. When Estonia gained its independence after the First World War, the Estonian authorities wanted to demolish it as it was the symbol of a period of Russian occupation. However, after the Bolshevik revolution, there were a large number of Russian refugees in the capital and the cathedral was not demolished. It was, however, closed by the German authorities who invaded Estonia in 1941. It was only regained its use after Estonia's independence in 1991.