Aleksander Nevsky Cathedral is a 19th-century Orthodox church. The construction of this sanctuary, based on Russian church architecture, began in 1894 and was completed in 1900. The church was named after Alexander Nevsky (1220-1263), the Prince of Novgorod. When Estonia gained its independence after the First World War, the Estonian authorities wanted to demolish it as it was the symbol of a period of Russian occupation. However, after the Bolshevik revolution, there were a large number of Russian refugees in the capital and the cathedral was not demolished. It was, however, closed by the German authorities who invaded Estonia in 1941. It was only regained its use after Estonia's independence in 1991.
Tallinn Cathedral is the main Evangelical Lutheran church in Estonia. It dates back to the 13th century, probably to the first half of this century. Between 1430 and 1460 the church building was reconstructed as a three-nave basilica. The church and a large part of the buildings in Toompea were destroyed in the fire of the Toompea district in 1684. The Gothic-style bell tower of the cathedral was destroyed, so a new Baroque bell tower was built in 1778-1779.
St. John's Church in Tallinn is one of the oldest neo-Gothic churches in Estonia. The church was built between 1862 and 1867 and was designed by the architect Christoph August Gabler (1820-1884). At the end of the 1930s, during the construction of the War of Independence monument on Vabaduse Square, the church came close to destruction but was finally preserved by the city authorities. The author of the church's stained-glass windows is the artist Eva-Aet Jänes.