On this relatively small island of Lake Megali Prespa stretching into northern Macedonia, Albania and Greece, a large number of historical and cultural monuments are concentrated. The Golem Grad island has been inhabited continuously for 2000 years and the monastic life was thriving there from the 10th century until the 14th century. Thus, there are no less than seven remains of churches. Among them, the Church of St Peter of Golem Grad, the only fully preserved church. Built around 1360, its reconstruction was last carried out in 1934. The church has many frescoes to admire inside.
St. John the Theologian Kaneo is one of the most famous churches in Northern Macedonia due to its position above Lake Ohrid. Its foundation date is unknown, but the church existed already in the 13th century. Abandoned during the Ottoman period, it was restored in the 19th century. The frescoes inside were made during the restoration and date back to the 20th century.
The church of St. Clement and Panteleimon is a replica of the old church of St. Panteleimon, built by St. Clement of Ohrid in 863, demolished by the Ottomans. The construction of the present church was completed in 2002. In the northern outer part, traces of the Sultan-Mehmed (Imaret) Mosque, built there during the Ottoman period, have been left.