St. Peter and Paul's Cathedral was designed by Carlo Rossi and completed in 1841. It is the Catholic Cathedral of Tallinn. During the period of Swedish rule (1561-1721) Catholicism was banned. When Sweden ceded Estonia to the Russian Empire at the end of the Great Northern War, the new authorities introduced religious freedom. In 1799, the Catholic parish grew and took over the use of the former refectory of St. Catherine's Monastery, which had remained closed since the ban. The refectory was used as a place of worship and is located on the site of the present church. In 1841, as the place of worship had become too small, a new church was designed by Carlo Rossi.
The Church of the Holy Spirit is the smallest medieval church in Tallinn. The first written documents mentioning the church date back to 1316. Between 1375 and 1380 several reconstructions and additions were made to the church. Originally, the church was a single-nave church, but as the congregation grew, a side nave was added. Major changes to the façade probably took place after the fire of 1433. Minor changes were also made in the 17th century when a new Baroque bell tower with two open balconies was built on top of the octagonal tower of the church, which resembles the exterior of the town hall in its appearance.
St. Nicholas' Church was founded in 1230 as the centre of a settlement of German merchants from Gotland. The church was completely rebuilt in 1405-1420 when a new choir was built and the then long building was rebuilt according to the principles of the basilica. From 1486 to 1493, the Matthew Chapel (14th century) was rebuilt as Anthony's Chapel. The new tower of the reconstructed church was completed in 1515. The west tower of the church was rebuilt in 1682-1696 and a new baroque bell tower was built. After its restoration after the Second World War (1953-1981), the church became an art museum and a concert hall.