Synagogue in Râmnicu Sărat

The Synagogue in Râmnicu Sărat was reportedly built in 1855. Sixteen lancet windows on the north side, six on the south side, and four on the east side give light to the prayer hall. A second tier of small round windows lights the women's gallery. The windows are decorated on the building exterior with intervening pilasters and curved blind arches. A semicircular apse on the east side of the building marks the niche of the Torah ark. The vestibule of the synagogue serves as a small prayer room and leads to the main prayer hall. The women's gallery occupies an upper tier (balcony) that compasses the main prayer hall on three sides.

About this building

For more information visit on this building visit

Other nearby buildings

Center for Jewish Art

Temple in Buzău

A building of the Temple was constructed in 1903-1910. It combines the features of the Neo-Moorish style, popular emong European Jews, with those of the Neo-Romanian style, popular in the country as its national artistic expression. Although the Temple is a magnificent building crowned with three cupolas, is it situated inside a block, screened from the street by the building of the Jewish school. The Temple was repaired in 1946 with the assistance of the Joint Distribution Committee and therefore its photographs are preserved in the JDC archives in New York and the Yad Vashem Archives in Jerusalem. Nonetheless, currently the Temple is in a deteriorated state and it is dangerous to enter it.

Wikimedia Commons/MyName (Stefan_Galati (discuție))

Archepiscopal Cathedral of Galați

The archepiscopal cathedral of Galați was built between 1906 and 1917. The earthquake of 1940 caused the collapse of the great tower. It was only in 1950 that the restoration began, which lasted until 1957. The 1977 earthquake, but above all the rise of groundwater in the region, caused damage that necessitated further consolidation work that was not completed until 2006.

Wikimedia Commons

Fortified church of St. Precistus

The fortified church of St. Precistus was built between 1643 and 1647 and is a symbol of the city. It was built in what was then Moldavia under Ottoman administration. Half a century after the completion of the construction of the Precista church, the Ottoman Empire was in decline, and for more than a century the church was damaged in wars involving Austria, Russia and the Ottoman Empire. In 1940, during the Second World War (1939-1945), a great earthquake seriously damaged the church. It was restored between 1952 and 1966 and functioned as a museum of medieval religious art. Further restoration and consolidation took place during the years 1991-1994, after which the church was returned to Orthodox worship.