The Cathedral of Gozo was built in local limestone between 1697 and 1711 according to the plans of the architect Lorenzo Gafa (1630-1704) on the ruins of an old church devastated by the earthquake of 1693. The Cathedral Church of Gozo is representative of Lorenzo Gafa's Maltese Baroque strongly inspired by Jesuit art or the early Baroque of Giacomo della Porta as expressed in the Church of the Gesù in Rome.
The Xewkija rotunda was built between 1951 and 1971. The present church was built to replace the old one which had become too cramped. This first church was kept intact throughout the construction of the new one so that worship could continue to take place. The church was designed according to the plans of the Maltese architect Joseph Damato.
The Parish Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary was built in 1883, a few decades after the reinstatement of Mellieħa as a parish.