Vinnytsya Jewish Cemetery

According to IAJGS, the cemetery was established in 1727. It can be found marked on a Russian map of the region from the 1900s. Today the cemetery of Vinnytsya contains a few hundred matzevot, which date to between the 19th and the first half of the 20th century.

About this building

For more information on this site visit:

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Neovitaha777

Cathedral of the Holy Transfiguration

The Cathedral of the Holy Transfiguration, originally a Dominican church built at the end of the 18th century on top of a wooden Dominican church of 1624. In 1817, the tsarist authorities closed the Dominican monastery and handed the premises over to the Orthodox. The architect of this Baroque church was a native of northern Italy.

Source: European Jewish Cemeteries Initiative

Tomashpil Old Jewish Cemetery

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the early 19th century. There are around 3,000 gravestones. The earliest tombstone found dates to 1873, the most recent to 1931. The cemetery is abandoned, and it is used for cattle grazing.