The Church of St. Nicholas in Brussels, built around 1125, is one of the first churches in Brussels and the best preserved in its successive modifications. Of the original Romanesque style church, some remains remain in the entrance porch, discovered during the reconstruction of the façade in 1956. This Romanesque style building had a tower that housed the city's bells and was therefore the bell tower of Brussels. Destroyed by a storm in 1367, it was immediately rebuilt. The church was closed in 1797 and sold in 1799. Almost demolished, it was finally returned to worship in 1804.
The church of Saint-Jacques-sur-Coudenberg, built between 1776 and 1787, is a "royal parish" and, since 1986, the cathedral of the diocese to the Belgian Armed Forces. The 18th century building replaces the castle chapel of the Coudenberg Palace and the church of the Coudenberg Abbey, both destroyed to make way for the church. In 1849, Tilman-François Suys replaced the old campanile with an imperial wooden bell tower with four bells and, in 1851, Jean-François Portaels decorated the pediment with a fresco.
The church Notre-Dame du Finistère was built in the 15th century as a small chapel. The church was rebuilt at the beginning of the 17th century as the area was urbanized, but the present building is a third reconstruction, started in 1708 and completed in 1730. Since then, the upper part of the façade was built and crowned with an octagonal dormer window in 1828 and a statue of the Virgin Mary surrounded by the 12 stars of the Apocalypse was fixed there in 1857.