Pechersk Lavra (Cave Monastery) is an Orthodox monastic complex in Kyiv. It was founded in 1051 as a cave monastery by monks from Mount Athos in Greece. In its early years, the monastery consisted of churches, chapels and cells built of wood, but as early as 1073, work began on the construction of a stone cathedral, the forerunner of the present Dormition Cathedral, which was completed in 1089. In the early modern period, the monastery became a centre of Orthodox pilgrimage for the entire Russian Empire. The 17th and 18th centuries were periods of great renewal for the monastery, which grew to its present size, including the most significant representations of Baroque and Rococo painting and architecture. In 1994, it was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The Trinity Gate Church is the main entrance to the Kiev Cave Lavra. It was built in the early 12th century, after which it was rebuilt several times. Originally close to the sacred buildings of the Kiev Rus' (860-1240), the Trinity Gate Church is now decorated in the Ukrainian Baroque style. The church survived the earthquake of 1230 and the Mongol invasion of 1240. However, the church was severely damaged by fire in 1718 and was restored between 1722 and 1729.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably, it was established at the beginning of the 19th century. It appears on cadastral maps from the beginning of 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the 1810s. The fence was installed by ESJF in August 2016.