Kerimäki Church is a wooden church completed in 1847. The plan of the church was designed by architect A. F. Granstedt. In its style, the Kerimäki church is a kind of mixture of neo-Gothic and neo-Byzantine. Next to the church is a 42-metre-high bell tower, which was completed in the same year as the church. The Kerimäki church is undoubtedly the largest wooden church in Europe.
You'll end up in the baroque when you enter the 14th century church of Adorp, as a result of a renovation in the 17th century.
A late Gothic church, but without frivolous tracery in the windows: no passes or blowing fish. It was completed in 1506 as a rectangular hall church. Inside, the church has a renaissance pulpit, the organ from 1862 and the carved tombstones.
This 14th century brick church was built without foundations. The brickwork continues nearly half a meter below the ground. Support beams are provided to prevent subsidence. The 16th century pointed windows were fitted with cast iron traces in the 19th century. At the same time, the church also received a neoclassical makeover: a lot of stucco, a barrel vault and Corinthian pilasters & pillars.
This church is located in an elongated village, originally founded in the 13th century on two adjacent dikes. In 1989, a demolition permit was applied for and, fortunately, refused. T
This church, located on a bank, is built on the foundations of its predecessor. The final form of this hall church, which was completed with a three-sided choir, was created in the new building (with old material) in 1729, as can be seen from the blue-glazed roof tiles.
The hall church, with its eclectic façade and neoclassical elements, was built in 1862 as the successor of a medieval church.
The church is mainly brick and was built in the 13th century and is known as Laurentius church. Of the original entrances only the southern one remains. Inside, white stucco melon vaults contrast with the dark brown furniture. The interior has survived the Beeldenstorm, thanks to pastor Louwe Fritema.
One of the oldest brick churches is in Ommelanden: the church was built in the late 12th century. It is Romanesque in origin but was partly renovated in the 19th century: the semi-circular apse was replaced by a flat wall. Inside there is a pulpit from 1654.
The church, formerly dedicated to Laurentius, probably had a predecessor founded by Liudger. The oldest part of from the present church dates from the twelfth century. The newer, eastern part from the thirteenth century and made of brick.