The Church of the Nativity of the Holy Mother of God is the cathedral of the Greek Catholic Eparchy in Košice. The church was built between 1882 and 1898 according to the design of William Kolatsek and the builder Ludovit Schmidt. It is built in a neo-Romanesque style. An iconostasis and a pulpit were installed in 1901. The church became a cathedral after the establishment of the Košice Apostolic Exarchate in 1997.
The Cathedral of the Presentation of the Lord was built in 1889 in the neoclassical style. In 1930 the cathedral was closed by the Soviet authorities and in 1938 the upper part of the cathedral - the pavilion and the bell tower - was destroyed. The Bolsheviks converted the lower part of the cathedral into a warehouse. In 1941 the cathedral was reopened, but it was closed again in 1962 and waited another 40 years to be reopened.
The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ is a former Jesuit church built between 1720 and 1729, but the present Baroque church was built in the years 1752-1761. Since 1885 it has been a Greek-Catholic cathedral. In 1905, the authorities ordered the renovation of the façade. The building of the former monastery still adjoins the church.
The Patriarchal Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ is the main cathedral of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. Built in the neo-historical style, the church was consecrated on 27 March 2011, when the seat of the Lviv Patriarchate was transferred there.
The Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ is the Albanian Orthodox Cathedral in Tirana. The original building was built in 1865 on the present Scanderbeg Square and was closed for worship in 1967, during the communist period. During these years, the old cathedral was completely destroyed by the communist regime and the Hotel International Tirana was built in its place. In 2012, after about ten years of work, the new cathedral was completed. It is the third-largest Orthodox church in Europe.
The Cathedral of the Resurrection of the Lord is an Orthodox church, a good example of Russian-style architecture in Belarus. Before the construction of the modern cathedral, there was a wooden church, built between 1620 and 1648, which burned down in the 1860s. The present cathedral was therefore erected between 1874 and 1907. The cathedral was built by highly skilled masons from Ivyanets, and artists Elishevsky and Trutnev (Russian) from Vilnius were invited to decorate the interior.
The Cathedral of the Resurrection is the Albanian Orthodox Cathedral of Korçë. An old cathedral, dedicated to St. George, was destroyed by the communist regime between 1967 and 1970. The present building is a reconstruction completed in 1992.
The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a Roman Catholic cathedral, built in 1889. The architect of the cathedral was none other than Josip Vancaš (1859-1932), who combined elements of Romanesque and Gothic styles in this project. The cathedral was built on the site of a former Janissary camp where the Austro-Hungarian administration intended to build a town market.
The Church of the Blessed Mother of God, the Orthodox Cathedral of Vilnius, was built in 1346. Throughout its history, the building has been regularly restored, the last renovation having taken place between 1980 and 1998.
The Cathedral of the Transfiguration is an Orthodox church built at the beginning of the 19th century as part of a monastery, abolished in 1832 and subsequently destroyed. The monastery church, built in the Renaissance style, was later transformed into the Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration. The temple was destroyed in the 1950s, and since 2000 it has been restored.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut