The white synagogue of Sejny was built in 1885 on the remains of a wooden synagogue. Its construction was the initiative of the rabbi Mojżesz Becalel Luria. The building was damaged during the Second World War, and after serving as a warehouse, renovation of the building began in 1978, and lasted until 1987. The synagogue is now used as a venue for concerts.
Once home to the largest Jewish community in the world, Poland has had many synagogues built on its territory since the 16th century. Unfortunately, most of these synagogues were destroyed during the Pogroms of the Interwar period and, even more radically, during the Second World War.
The Włodawa Synagogue was built between 1764 and 1774 on the site of a former wooden synagogue. Badly burned during the First World War and desecrated during the Second World War, the synagogue served as a warehouse until 1970. In the 1980s, after extensive renovation work, a museum on the history and culture of Polish Jews was opened there.
The New Synagogue of Ostrów Wielkopolski was built from 1857 to 1860 in the Moorish style. The synagogue was intended to replace the old synagogue, which had become too small for the city's Jewish community. Having survived the Second World War, the building has since been restored for many artistic and educational purposes.
The Łańcut Synagogue, built in 1761 on the site of a former wooden synagogue, is one of the most valuable monuments of Jewish architecture in Poland. Restored in the 19th century, the synagogue was burned down during the Second World War, destroying most of its interior. Rescued from demolition in the 1950s, the synagogue was restored in 1960, and is now used as a museum of Jewish culture and history.
The Synagogue of Zamość is the best-preserved late renaissance synagogue in Poland. The building was built between 1610 and 1620 on the initiative of the city's Sephardic Jews. After being damaged during the Second World War, the synagogue underwent two major restorations in 1948-1950 and 1967-1972. The building now houses the Zamość region’s Jewish museum, and a local educational centre.
The Tykocin Synagogue was built in 1642 and was, at the time, a well-known Jewish intellectual centre. In the 18th century, a low tower serving as a prison was added to the northeast corner. Renovated in the 1840s, the synagogue was damaged a century later during the Second World War. Completely renovated in the 1970s, it has since been the headquarters of the Museum of Jewish Culture in Tykocin.
The Old Synagogue of Pińczów is one of the oldest synagogues in Poland, built in the years 1594-1609 by the architect Santi Gucci. Though renovated after the war, the synagogue served as a warehouse until 1970, when it was decided that it would be given to the Ponidzie Museum.