About this building
The Cathedral of the Resurrection is the Albanian Orthodox Cathedral of Korçë. An old cathedral, dedicated to St. George, was destroyed by the communist regime between 1967 and 1970. The present building is a reconstruction completed in 1992.
The connected island of Agios Ahillios is a site steeped in history. Indeed, in the 10th century, this islet was one of the centres of Bulgarian imperial power, at which time it preserves the massive ruins of the Basilica of St. Achilles. South of the site are still several other churches and monasteries.
St. Naum Monastery is a monastery built from the 10th century in Byzantine architecture. It was founded by St. Naum of Preslav (830-910), a disciple of Saints Cyril and Methodius. In the 16th century, during the Ottoman occupation, new buildings were constructed on the foundations of the original building. However, a part of them was destroyed in a fire in 1875.