The Choral Synagogue is the only Synagogue still functioning in Kaunas. Dating from the 18th century, the present building was built later in 1872-73 under the impulse of Levinas Minkovskis, a Kaunas merchant. The synagogue is called 'Choir' because the rituals it hosts are accompanied by singing.
The Choral Ohel Yaakov Synagogue in Kaunas was built in 1872, but its fence dates from 1893. The synagogue, of Neo-Renaissance and Neo-Moorish styles, was built for Progressive Jews by architects Iustin N. Golinevich and Edmund von Mikwitz. The brick building is still used as a synagogue.
The Kaunas Mosque was built in 1860 as a wooden mosque. Rebuilt in 1930, it is the only brick mosque in Lithuania. During World War II the mosque was closed and during the Soviet period the mosque was used for various purposes by a circus, a library and an art museum. The mosque returned to its original use in 1989 and in 1991 the first services took place.