The origins of the Church of the Holy Trinity are debated (12th or 15th century), a debate fuelled by the building's strange architectural style. However, its defensive nature leaves no doubt. Embedded in a thick wall and surrounded by two towers, the church was a protection against Turkish attacks in the region, frequent in the 16th century. Inside, magnificent medieval frescos representing a Danse Macabre are still preserved.
The decision to create a church in this developing neighbourhood dates back to 1861. It is the work of the architect Théodore Ballu who orchestrated the work from 1862 to 1867. He had previously completed the neo-Gothic church of Sainte-Clotilde and after 1871, he rebuilt the Town Hall destroyed during the Commune. The Trinity Church is, along with the Church of St. Augustine, the most famous religious achievement of the Haussmann period.
The pro-cathedral of the Holy Trinity is an Anglican religious building located in Ixelles. It was built from 1883 to 1885 and belongs to the Anglican diocese of Gibraltar.
This tiny, plain stone roofed building is about 11 feet by 8 feet altogether with walls two feet thick. It is said to date from the Middle Ages, though there was obviously a chapel or hermit's cell on this site before that. Inside, under the altar, is St Trillo's holy well.
The church in Holøydalen was built according to the drawings of the architect Victor Nordan in 1908. The architecture of the church is marked by the national romantic design of the time with, among other things, interconnected arched windows. The interior is relatively well preserved from the period of construction, with unpainted wooden walls and an iron stove on the south side of the choir opening.
The former Protestant church in Hommertshausen is a baroque half-timbered church built in 1656. In 1956, due to the widening of Schelde-Lahn-Straße, it was moved approximately 2 metres throughout the building, which was an unusual and important achievement at the time.
One of the mightiest defence towers in Transylvania features eight levels and is constructed above the initial chancel of the Romanesque basilica built in Homorod during the 13th century. The tower itself was built in 1550 in the church’s fortification phase, when the chancel was detached from the nave and the smaller western tower continuing the side aisle was flanked by two side constructions. Two defence walls protected the assembly: while the outer exterior had no towers, but an outer bailey, four corner towers strengthened the inner wall. In 1784, under the pressure of a constantly growing community, the church had to be enlarged by building a chancel on the southern side. After the fire in 1792 the church received its valuable late Baroque furniture, the painted flat ceiling, the ornamented galleries and a richly decorated organ altar. The mural painting fragments which are preserved in the chancel present depictions dating back to different eras, varying from 1270 to the late Middle Ages.
Honningsvåg Church, which was consecrated in 1885, is a long church with a west tower built by D. G. Evjen according to drawings by architect J. W. Nordan. The church has a single nave with narrower choirs and is characterized by a neo-gothic and Swiss-style. Inside, flat-beamed ceilings are located above the choir and the nave. In 1978-79, the church was renovated, after plans were made to demolish it.
Hopperstad stavkirke was built around the year 1130, and it stands on its original site. The church is owned by the Society for the Preservation of Ancient Norwegian Monuments which funded its restoration (1885-1891).
First mentioned in the 12th century, this church used to appear just outside the gates of Innsbruck, as it used to be attached to a hospital. The hospital no longer exists, but the church remains. Its modern appearance comes from the 18th century after being completely renovated and redesigned. It suffered damage during the Second World War and was renewed in the 1960s.