The first Methodist church in Woodhall Spa was built in 1899 before which worshippers had to go to the chapel at nearby hamlet of Kirkstead.
Worcester Cathedral has been described as possibly the most interesting of all England's cathedrals, especially architecturally.
The Worlitz Synagogue was built in 1790 by the order of Duke Leopold III of Anhalt-Dessau. It can be found within the Dessau-Worlitz Garden Realm UNESCO World Heritage site. The Worlitz synagogue was modelled after a synagogue designed by Erdmannsdorf in Rome.
The church of Wotruba was built from 1974 to 1976 according to the plans of Fritz Wotruba (sculptor) and Fritz Gerhard Mayr (architect). This church, made of concrete blocks, is of a markedly brutalist style.
Wragby Methodist Church celebrated its centenary in 1994, but is the third chapel on this site.
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist dates mainly from the Gothic period, from the 13th to the 14th century. However, she was preceded by three other churches on this place. The current building mixes Baroque complements and contemporary restorations after war damage. It is considered the first completely Gothic church in Poland.
St. Kilian's Cathedral in Würzburg is a Romanesque church built from 1040. It is said to be the fourth largest Romanesque basilica in Germany. It is the third church on the site, the two previous ones, built around 787 and 855, were destroyed by fire. The side aisles were remodelled around 1500 in the late Gothic style. Pietro Magno decorated the cathedral with Baroque stuccoes in 1701. Most of the building collapsed after the Second World War. Reconstruction was completed in 1967.
The Wysoka Synagogue resides in the Kazimierz District of Kraków, Poland, and is also referred to as the High Synagogue due to the upstairs location of the prayer room. It was built between 1556 and 1563 in a Renaissance style. It is now inactive following World War II.
The Włodawa synagogue was built between 1764 and 1774 on the site of a former wooden synagogue. Burned during the First World War, desecrated during the Second World War, the synagogue served as a warehouse until 1970. In the 1980s, after extensive renovation work, a museum on the history and culture of Polish Jews was opened there.
The mosque in the Xhemahallë complex, called the King's Mosque, is one of the first mosques of this style built in Albania. The complex dates back to 1682 and includes a complex hydraulic network that supplied water to the Hamam, madrasa and mosque.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
Church of Saints Simon and Helena