Heilige Laurentius
Bemelen, NL
The church of St. Laurentius was donated by Prince-Bishop Balderic II of Liège (1007-1018), together with the tithes of Bemelen, to the chapter of Our Lady in Maastricht. This donation was confirmed by Pope Adrian IV in 1157. It was the mother church of the St. Martinus parish in Wijck-Maastricht. Parts of the east wall of the marlstone, unarticulated tower date back to the 12th century, the rest dates from around 1350. The current spire dates from around 1760. The former church was replaced in 1845 by a neoclassical church, probably designed by Mathias Soiron. The church was restored in 1976. Mathias Soiron died in the year the church was built and is buried against the church wall, to the right of the entrance. {Source: [1] }